Friday, January 18, 2013

Seven Steps to Positive Thinking

Did anyone get the license plate number of the truck that hit me?????  Oh my goodness.  What a week I've had.

Saw my doctor.  My PICC line had sprung a leak last week, so this week it was removed.  I requested that I take an antibiotic holiday as well as any other medication my doctor thought I could get away with not taking for a few months (or as long as my body would allow).  My doctor agreed and took me off 11 medications!  One of the meds I stopped was keeping my blood pressure down so he replaced my medicine withan indian herb known to not only drop high blood pressure, but possibly correct the problem.  Why didn't he do that in the first place?  Arjin is an Ayurvedic treatment used for mild to moderate hypertension.  I'm happy to say that although we expected some rebound of my blood pressure, so far it has behaved itself.

After waiting 2-1/2 years, I finally got my hearing at the Social Security office.  Although it takes 30-60 days to get official notice, I am confident that it went in my direction.  The judge was compassionate and seemed to not only understand the symptomology of my overlapping disorders, but had truely studied my personal medical records.  If I am awarded disability, it will free me up to focus on my health, reducing the stress of constant worry, and best of all, allow me to obtain Medi-care insurance.  I currently am waiting for my COBRA package - something I don't think the King of Persia could afford!

Overall, it's been a pretty rough week.  The chronic fatigue that I suffer from, really got the best of me this week.  As a by-product of the fatigue, the brain fog and memory issues kick into full gear.  I had an extremely difficult time getting the energy to do much of anything - so nothing got done.  I couldn't think very well, or even find my words to hold a decent conversation.  It was pretty frustrating.  I was supposed to hold a stamp club meeting tomorrow.  I had to cancel because of how difficult things are right now.  My doctor said to expect some changes while my body tried to compensate for the things that all the medication usually took care of.  He was right.

Got some good advice tonight (thanks Joleen).  Trying not to focus on the fatigue and forgetfulness.  Trying not to put so much pressure on myself.  Need to focus on the positive.  A positive frame of mind is imperative to a healthy lifestyle and the first step to my healing.  There is much proof of the mind-body connection when it comes to our health.  My current textbook teaches that there are seven steps to a positive mental attitude:
 
1. Become an Optimist
focus on the positives, even in challenging situations
 
2. Become Aware of Self-Talk
guard yourself against negative self talk
 
3. Ask Better Questions
turn the negative questions we ask ourselves around by using positive language
 
4. Employ Positive Affirmations
phrase affirmations with positive words and attach happy feelings to them
 
5. Set Positive Goals
use positive language, be specific, and set attainable goals in the present
 
6. Practice Positive Visualization
see yourself doing positive things and feeling good
 
7. Laugh Long and Often
laugh, laugh, and laugh some more.  surround yourself with people who make you feel good.  read funny things.  watch funny things.  learn to laugh at yourself, then laugh some more.
 
 
See what you can do to bring more laughter into your own life!  Have an awesome weekend!


1 comment:

  1. I loved this! Definitely a good reminder to be more positive. It's so easy to get caught up in everything (and there's always something!!) and for self doubt to rear it's ugly head. I'm guilty of it all the time. Thanks for sharing these steps! So helpful. :)

    I know it's been a bit of a rough transition in the last week but also so encouraging (SS hearing). I'm praying for you!!! <3

    ReplyDelete