Friday, March 1, 2013

An Alternative Way

Well, I suppose it's not good form to start a blog then disappear!  What a month it has been!  As you know, about 6 weeks ago I asked my doctor to take me off all of my medications.  This was quite the gamble, as most of you know I take a lot of medication!  After going through the list, he agreed to give me an antibiotic holiday.  He removed the PICC line and I immediately discontinued the use of 11 medications!  The past few weeks have had my stomach in a bit of turmoil, but overall, I am so happy.  This is not to say I'm all better.  The journey has been one with mixed emotions.  While I am glad to be off so many drugs, all the bacteria that was flowing through my body had to go somewhere, making the toilet my best friend (sorry for the visual).  Things are starting to get better 6 weeks into the journey, and after seeing my doctor yesterday, he says it'll be a few more weeks before things settle down.  In the meantime, I have added a few nutritional supplements to support my body through this transition.  With disorders like Lupus, Sjogren's Syndrome, and Lyme Disease, my immune system has been severely compromised.  Because I have been supporting my body with all these medications doing for me what my body could not, I have to strengthen my body so it can pick up and do the job itself.  This is my greatest hope.  Monday, I saw my doctor and he agreed that I'm looking much better.  He let me know that we might have to do another round of antibiotics, but is not in any hurry to jump on that bandwagon.  For now, we are using nutrition, supplementation, and (soon to start) exercise, to strengthen me up. He took a bunch of labs and I will go back in 6 weeks.  So what am I doing to support my body now?

As you can see, I have made a change to the title of my blog.  In an effort to create a healthier lifestyle for myself, I have decided to dedicate my blog to share what I learn along the way.  I hope you enjoy the postings!

Another major step towards healthier living is the quest to pay off debt.  We have been in such a financial bind for so long, thinking about finally being able to tackle this situation is a little scarey, but I already feel lighter just knowing we can start!  Stress kills.  For most of us, the biggest stress in our lives is debt.  Yesterday, we took the first step by buying a refrigerator.  We didn't get a new one - hey're very expensive - , but a good used one off Craigslist.  Last September our old fridge died.  The only option we had was a rent-to-own option.  We found a fabulous family owned business in Temecula called Colortyme.  Cindy, the owner, treated us like we were family.  They really helped us out when we needed it.  I will go back to them in the future and highly recommend them to anyone.  Anyway, renting a refrigerator is pretty expensive, so we were excited to see that payment go!  Paid off the first 3 credit cards today!  I can't tell you how good I feel.

Since losing our business 6 years ago, we have systematically purged everything in our lives.  We went from owning a large home in Apple Valley, with a 40' RV garage filled to the brim with stuff (junk), a 3 room office AND a storage unit, to a 2000 square foot home with a few things being stored in the garage.  This has also contributed to major stress relief.  Carting around all this junk has weighed us down for years.  We sold what we could and donated the rest.  Now I find myself being particular with what goodies I bring home.  I literally feel so much lighter without all that clutter!

Slowing the pace down was a bit difficult, but was forced because of my health issues.  This has been another Godsend for me.  I work very hard to pace myself - to not schedule too much at once - and to enjoy the little things.  Looking back, I see how uptight I was.  My need to keep everything in control really took over my life.  I feel bad that my children are much the same way an hope they figure it out sooner than I did!  I, physically feel lighter not worrying over the insignificant things, which helps me to have more strength to worry about the things that really matter! 

So this is my "Alternative Way" for this week.  Work on the things that bring you the most stress.  Just pick one thing at a time and conquer it.  With each one, you will bring longevity and happiness to your life!  This is the day the Lord has made, and what a beautiful day it is!  Let's take full advantage of it and enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. "So this is my "Alternative Way" for this week. Work on the things that bring you the most stress. Just pick one thing at a time and conquer it. With each one, you will bring longevity and happiness to your life! This is the day the Lord has made, and what a beautiful day it is! Let's take full advantage of it and enjoy it!" - I love this!! What a great reminder. I'm so happy for you. This is such an exciting time. <3

    ReplyDelete